September 2, 2011

Wilson Spaghetti Sauce

Wilson is my maiden name, and my parents both make the best spaghetti sauce. I think everyone adds a little bit of their own "something" to it, but here is how I make my parents sauce:

1 small yellow onion chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
A few teaspoons olive oil.

Combine the above, and saute until the onions are translucent, but not brown.

Meat: I use turkey sausage, but you can really use regular ground beef, meatballs, whatever. Go ahead and brown your meat.

Sauce:
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 large can tomato sauce
1 small can tomato puree

(IMO, the Contadina brand is the best, but Hunts will work or store brand too.)
Garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper to taste. Salt and pepper to taste too.

Combine everything in a big pot or crockpot. I crockpot mine and let it cook all day, occasionally stirring or adding more spice (and I just dropped and broke my crockpot last night, sadly). You could probably let it cook on low on the stove for an hour or two.

Yum! Makes you feel like you are back in Jersey.

No comments:

Post a Comment