January 9, 2012

A new way to clean

I only have natural cleaning products now. Tomorrow, I will be making homemade dishwash detergent. I've also ordered some soap to make the kids shampoo and bath soap, as well as hand soap. I'm even trying my hand at homemade toothpaste. As Shane would say, I'm on a kick. I'm a little fixated. But once you buy a few ingredients, you have everything you need to keep going. If you google some of the break downs, you will be amazed at how much money you are saving.

I really want to make my homemade laundry detergent, but I'm still learning how to use my HE washer, and I would hate to ruin it before we paid it off.

Here are the essentials I think you need to start:

Baking soda
Lemon Juice
White Vinegar
Borax
Washing Soda
Tea Tree Oil
Other yummy smelling essential oils-lavender, etc.

I found most of my recipes from diyNaturally. I will be sure and credit all the sites that I used though below. Happy, healthy, safe cleaning yall!

All purpose cleaner: (me, after lots of research)
1 part white vinegar
3 parts filtered water
2 drops tea tree oil
Store in a spray bottle

Glass cleaner: (me, after lots of research)
1 cup white vinegar
3 cups filtered water
Store in spray bottle

Dishwasher Detergent: Bonzai Aphrodite
1 part Borax
1 part washing soda

Combine powders in a bowl and break up any clumps. Store in a closed container with lid, and shake daily to keep from clumping. For an extra shine, add white vinegar to your rinse.

Liquid Hand Soap: EnviroMom
1 cup water
1/4 cup liquid castille soap (I ordered Dr. Bronners with Aloe Vera, the baby kind since I am also using this to make shampoo)
1 tsp vegetable glycerine

Mix all together. I'm going to get some cute soap pumps to stick in the bathrooms and next to the kitchen sink, or you can resuse your old ones.

**Note: Homemade shampoo is made with the same ingredients...and perhaps a dash of essential oil for a yummy smell. Also, did you know that you can use 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of water as a conditioning rinse?

Homemade Toothpaste: diyNaturally
2/3 cup Baking Soda
4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp peppermint extract
water to reach desired consistency

Mix all together until you reach desired consistency. Store in a container with a lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment